Originally posted: Dec 31-2021
New Year resolution goals used to make me bat shit crazy! I would stress every year about how to start my year off right. And every December, I would cry over the things I didn’t do that year.
Why? Well, society tells us we are supposed to knock our New Year’s resolution goals out of the park. So I quit. I quit making myself miserable and gave myself permission to try all these amazing things instead.
Adopt all these micro new year resolution goals for the year, or just a few of them.
The point it to do better than yesterday, and these New Year resolution goals will help you get there.
Here’s to a happy New Year and conquering your new year resolution goals!
New Year Financial Goals
1-Gather Christmas and birthday gifts all year instead of doing last minute shopping.
- Use a bin system to store your purchases all year. And tape a master list on each box for easy review. If you find extra’s you don’t have to shop later.
- Save time and money by extending your shopping season to the entire year instead of 1-2 months. Avoid the holiday rush and the holiday markups.
Having Trouble with Gift Ideas? Check out our Pinterest Board: Gift Ideas for When You’re Forgetful
2-Pay a little more than what you owe on debt to pay it off sooner.
- Your credit score will go up and help you reach more long term goals.
- You will have more cash to spend since you will be paying down your interest.
- Consider a consolidation loan with a bank to help you get out from under the large interest rates.
3-Spend a little money on myself each month.
- Get a caramel coffee.
- Buy a book you want.
- Get a cute bow tie for your pet.
Check out this cute bow tie collar combo! It’s handmade on Etsy. And when I see Koda wearing his, I smile.
4-Donate time, money, or supplies to a 501c3 this year, and feel good about helping others.
-I know some great dog rescues that would love a gift! The pups will love it! If you want to help some great pups (and people) donate with Wag N Train Terrier Rescue (Omaha, NE), Taysia Blue Husky Rescue (Omaha NE) or Windy Ridge Rescue (Sumter, SC).-
- Ask your local vet office if they accept donations for rescue groups in your local area.
- Ask your church if they take part in any volunteer groups.
- Stop by nursing home and hospitals to ask about volunteer opportunities.
5-Stop subscriptions you are not using.
- Apps, Streaming, etc.
- Stop wasting time and money on services you aren’t using. Take that time and that money to care for yourself.
6-Downgrade Services You Are Not Using Enough.
- Switch from cable to Streaming.
- Split the service with a friend to reduce cost.
- Downgrade from paid apps you’re not using.
7-Grab a Kindle and go digital!
- Decrease clutter (not to mention back pain from cleaning)
- Save some trees to help the environment.
- Save money buying digital books. Subscribe to Kindle Unlimited and borrow books!
Grab the new Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition with new hassle free wireless charging. 10% Brighter, slimmer borders, and holds thousands of books.
8-Ditch habits that drain your finances.
- Smoking, drinking, eating out too much, spending too much on credit cards for birthdays and holidays.
- Substitute with healthier options (shopping for Christmas all year and not just after Thanksgiving)
9-Split School drop off and pick up duties with a friend, or join a school carpool.
- –My bestie and I did this when our kids went to the same school! It was a life saver!-
- Saves gas!
- Adds extra time to your day.
- Reduces stress for busy parents.
- Gives you help when you are sick.
- Creates a friendship with another parent.
10-If you’re “actively” losing weight, do not buy clothing new.
- Start a clothing trade.
- Hit up your local Goodwill or Salvation Army.
- Trade clothing with friends.
- Not buying new will help you save money while you are working on your goals.
- Reduces clothing waste when you know you’re in between sizes.
11-Grab gift cards all year for quick and easy last minute gifts.
- Get a pack of birthday cards while you’re at it!
- I never got a grocery gift card I didn’t like!
- Pay for a car wash! Even better if it has a vacuum package with it!
- Send someone a pizza, coffee, etc.
- Cash is always a favorite gift!
- Amazon gift cards!
Self Care Goals for the New Year
12-Read a book a month.
- –Easy to do with Kindle Unlimited‘!-
13-Create a positive social media experience by un-following negative people, groups, and pages.
- And following positive and fun people, pages, and groups.
RELATED POST: Adding Positivity to Your Life in 5 Easy Steps
14-Schedule a chat with a friend once a month.
- Venting improves mental health.
- Lighten your load and boost your mood by not packing every minute of your day with to do lists.
15-Make time to take a break!
- Busier is NOT better. You are risking your mental and physical health by doing too much.
- Schedule something fun each month.
- Have something to look forward to!
16-Stop pretending to be something you are not.
- You do not have to be happy all the time.
- You do not have to be a social butterfly all the time.
- You get to be a cranky bitch when you are hurting.
- Just be you. Being authentic gives you better relationships!
17-Learn to ask for help. No one can do it alone.
- Learn to delegate tasks.
- Once you delegate, let it go!
- Do not micro manage your partner or kids. No one likes a backseat driver!
18-Pay for some services.
- I hate washing my car, so I pay someone to do it for me.
- If you do not have superpowers, then you do not have to be a superhero.
- It is good for kids to see you take care of yourself. They will copy you later in life.
19-Weed out people in your life that cause you negativity.
- You do not have to stay connected with people who hurt your mental health.
- You do not have to stay connected with people who hurt your finances.
- You do not have to stay connected with people who physically hurt you.
RELATED POST: Adding Positivity to Your Life in 5 Easy Steps
20- Feel Your Emotions & Process Them.
- You are allowed to feel grief, pain, sadness, and other emotions for ditching a toxic relationship.
- You do not have to be the bigger person if it hurts you.
21-Take part in a 30 day challenge.
- Gain a growth mentality by trying new strategies.
NEED INSPIRATION? Check out the With Love, Me Pinterest Board: 30 Day Challenge Ideas
22-Instead of focusing on what’s coming up, be happy in the moment.
- Do not watch your kids through your phone. Put it on video and set it down!
23-Take a bath that is relaxing once a week.
- Even better if you do this before bed to relieve tension.
- Use Essential Oils.& Lavender Shampoo & Conditioner
- Watch your favorite show and light some scented candles!
- Recenter yourself and pamper you!
24-Take positive steps to improve your mental health.
- Get an affirmation for your phone!
- Set up those mental health appointments you have been postponing.
25-Get a flattering haircut to improve self esteem.
- Who doesn’t want to look amazing?
26-Ditch the phone, iPad, and computer once a month.
- Instead of texting or calling, schedule an in person visit and share a meal or coffee.
- Physical touch and real connection are essential for positive mental health.
- Your grandparents or elderly friends would LOVE an in person visit.
27-Stop using outdated or unhealthy society standards to judge my self worth.
- You are worth more than someone else’s opinion.
- No one knows you better than yourself.
- The only standard you should measure yourself by is: Am I better than I was yesterday?
RELATED POST: 8 Hidden Signs of Depression I Needed Help To Conquer
28-Embrace the weird and quirky things about yourself.
- No one is normal.
- There is no standard for personality.
- You can be anything you want and love anything you want.
- Relationships built on the real you are way better!
- There are no lies or falseness to keep up. Being fake is exhausting!!
29-Stop focusing on being past you. Embrace a new you.
- Past you is just what your environment created.
- Now you will also be where you are planted.
- Future you will result from your work you do today.
RELATED POST: Adding Positivity to Your Life in 5 Easy Steps
30-For every negative thought, create 3 positive ones to take its place.
- You’ll train your brain to think positive over time!
Grab a free ACT Method Worksheet to help you turn your thoughts around.
31-Speak nice about myself: in my conversations and in my head.
- If you wouldn’t say it about your partner, friend, mother, loved ones, kids; do not speak to yourself like that either.
32-Make a quick self care plan for when I am stressed or overwhelmed.
- Do you need to get away?
- Need a snack?
- Make a self care kit!
33-Spend time with a friendly animal.
- Visit a shelter.
- Phone a friend with a pet.
- Baby sit a pet.
- Become a rescue dog’s foster parent.
34-Journal each week to improve your mental health.
- Even better if you do it nightly before bed so you can ditch those intrusive thoughts!
35-Plan one large goal for your new year resolution goals.
- This year I want to improve my mental health.
- Make smaller goals all year long to meet that goal.
Grab this Goal Planning Worksheet to help you!
36-Spend some time outside.
- Fresh air is good for you.
- We need sunlight for proper Vitamin D production or you’ll get anemic.
37-Get a hobby that will help you improve your mental health.
- Rotate your hobbies so you don’t get bored. I have different hobbies for each season!
- Use hobbies that are reducing your stress. Quit anything that makes your anxiety worse.
38-Have one go to outfit that makes you feel fabulous.
- Wear it on bad mental health days.
- Wear it when you feel you have nothing to wear!
Health Goals for the New Year
39-Get a blood panel done to check for illness.
- A yearly checkup will help you manage illness with a smaller bill all year.
- Avoid the ER visits by getting in front of illness.
40-For every hour you sit, move 5 minutes.
- An 8 hour desk job gives you 40 minutes!
- Do it all at once, or do it each hour. It’s up to you!
- If you’re forgetful, grab an Apple Watch and set up the health app to remind you to move!
41-Stop obsessing over your weight, and obsess over your health numbers.
- Heart rate
- BMI (your weight to height ratio)
- -Obsessing about your height because you hit your head on fans and doors, or can’t reach the top shelf at the grocery store is fine.-
-I got this scale to help me make better choices. The app helps me record my body’s tape measurements, my BMI, track my goals, and more. Instead of just focusing on my weight, this Arbo Health scale and app helps me see a bigger picture, and reduces my stress about my body.
42-Get 8 hours of restful sleep a night.
- Two sets of broken 4 hour naps with barking dogs and kids do not count!
43-Learn about your medical conditions or mental health conditions so you can advocate for yourself better.
- You get better care if you can tell them what’s going on!
- Track your symptoms.
- Track your medications.
44-Quit the caffeine in the a.m. so you don’t experience the afternoon crash.
- Switch to orange juice to get the same morning perks without the crash!
- Caffeine is proven to make anxiety worse.
45-Break down health goals to small achievable steps.
- Make goals very simple by plotting it out!
46-Replace a bad habit with a good one.
- Find a similar task that can replace a bad habit.
47-Create a list of homemade meals that you love as a go to for “I don’t care” meal decisions.
- Make it even easier by creating sections for sweet, salty, spicy, etc!
- Make a spinner wheel to make a choice for you.
48-Limit fast food.
- Try to eat at home, or from home, when you can.
- Include a good choice in every purchase.
- Trade fries for fruit, salad, baked potato.
- Trade Soda for lemonade or water.
- Share a dessert with a friend or loved one each month.
- You don’t have to ditch dessert if you have it in moderation (told to me by a licensed nutritionist!)
49-Drink as much water as you do caffeine.
- Caffeine dehydrates you, so drink water so you don’t feel gross.
- Your skin and body will thank you!!!
- You will get fewer headaches!
50-Ban pre-made snacks from the house.
- (Chips Ahoy cookies, Keebler Elfs, Pre-packaged chips).
- Instead keep ingredients for your favorite snacks to curb boredom or impulsive eating.
- You’ll learn to eat when you are hungry, not anxious. You can thank me later!
51-Learn to make your favorites in the Instapot or Crockpot.
- Use that time not cooking to take care of yourself or relaxing.
I freaking love this thing! It does everything! I can set it and forget it. And yeah, it will beep at you when you need to pay attention to it until you answer. It’s amazing! It helps me care for myself when I don’t have enough energy for cooking at the stove or oven. My health has been much better since I got mine.
52-Stop stressing about what you’re going to eat for dinner.
- –I have this Instapot and love it so much! I started homemaking dog treats and food in it!
53-Set a Wake and Bedtime and don’t break it for better sleep all year!
- –I wake at 9am and go to bed at 1030.–
- Your schedule doesn’t have to be the 5 am rush daily. You can be off by 30 mins or an hour. Much more and you’re throwing off your internal clock.
- If you need a nap, take it. When we are ill or exhausted, we need extra sleep. But stick to your wake and bedtime, within an hour.
Best Relationship Goals for the Year
54-Learn communication skills.
- Therapists are great for this! Mine has been hacking my communication gaps for YEARS!
55-Have a fun at home date night once a week.
- Me and my hubby snuggle in bed and watch TV while talking.
- Save fun Date Night Ideas on Pinterest!
NEED HELP? Checkout this board on the With Love, Me Pinterest Board: Healthy Marriage
56-Take responsibility for my actions and apologize when I make a mistake.
- Blame makes people defend themselves.
- I cannot change others, only myself.
- My responsible actions can improve my relationships, cause less stress, and improve the attitude of others.
57-Learn to talk about what I need from others without beating around the bush.
- Either tell them or quit obsessing about it.
- No one is a mind reader.
- You will not get what you need by wishing for it.
58-Learn problem solving without losing my patience or my temper.
- Yelling solves nothing and only creates hurt.
- You will learn to solve issues quicker and more efficiently.
- Yelling can trigger trauma and PTSD. These cause permanent changes to the brain!
59-Meet people with similar interests to mine.
- Facebook groups
- create your own
60-Learn my partner’s love language and show them how much I love and appreciate them in a manner they appreciate.
- This book will tell you all about Love Languages! It is a must for getting to know yourself and your partner!
I read this book every year, and each year I learn something else about my relationship. This book helped me learn about relationships and how to help them thrive.
61-Take your kids on a date just for them.
- You don’t have to blow the budget to have fun. Mini golf is amazing!!
62-Stop judging your relationships by society standards.
- Do what is right for you!
63-Write a love letter, poem, etc to your partner.
- Everyone wants to be appreciated, even men.
NEED INSPIRATION: Check out our With Love, Me Pinterest Sub Board: Love Letters
64-Talk about your childhood with your partner and ask about theirs.
- Getting to know your partner will create intimacy.
65-Don’t complain about your partner for 30 days.
- Helps adopt a more positive mindset.
- Helps your partner feel more appreciated by hearing kindness from you vs. complaining about things they lack.
- Can kindle intimacy and appreciation for a good partner.
- You might even want to get intimate more. -Bow chicka wow wow! Wink!-
66-Stop waiting for fairy tales and create the life you want.
- Real fairy tales are tragic.
- Life is not a romantic comedy.
- You do not live a Hollywood movie set.
- Life is better than a movie. It’s slower pace and you can make the magic happen if you put in the work.
- Things rarely happen without hard work and a little planning.
- Great relationships are two partners making it work with compromise and problem solving.
- “There is no secret ingredient. It’s just you!” -Kung Fu Panda
Home Resolutions for New Years
67-Create a home you love.
- You do not have to buy anything to redecorate.
- Moving things around and de-cluttering can really make a difference!
- A color change can create calm!
68-Create a bedroom sanctuary where I feel relaxed and happy.
- Soft bed fabrics are amazing.
- Invest in a good pillow.
- Get a quieter fan. –
69-Toss items that no longer suit your life.
- Do you really need that 4th crock-pot?
- Feel good and de-clutter while helping others. You can give useful items to shelters. Or sell the items and donate to a good cause.
- Less clutter, less mess, less time cleaning stuff, better mental health. –Do I need to go on?-
70-Get rid of clothing that does not serve its purpose/function or does not fit.
- Be happy with you now and don’t waste time on clothing that does not make you fabulous today!
71-Make a cozy bed so you sleep better.
- Get comfy sheets.
- Invest in a good pillow!
72-Repair, donate, or toss broken items.
- Quit letting junk take up space in your home and life.
73-Create cleaning box kits to clean.
- My categories are (all purpose, pet stains, floors, bath, etc.)
- Saves me time by not having to hunt for the right cleaners.
- I can keep a box in each bathroom for quick cleaning.
- Easily Portable! Easy set up!
- –These are my current storage boxes and I love them. If they’re not in use, I can take them apart and store them! They’re solid when in use!-
74-Ditch those holey undies and socks.
- Holes in jeans are in, but holes in undergarments are out!
- You can get fun stuff to replace it that helps you feel confident. Holes do not boost confidence and body positivity.
75-Clean those carpets and rugs!
- Your allergies will thank you!
- You do not know how dirty those things are until you wash them.
- Your home will look and smell better!
- A Shark Vacuum will help you breathe better. -I have asthma and this vacuum has really reduced my breathing issues!-
76-Create a home binder for important documents and stick it in a safe spot.
- Keep it in a cool dry place that will be easy to grab in an emergency!
77-Create a simple scrapbook with clear sheets to store drawings, cards, pictures, and other emotional items you want to save.
- Display these instead of having loads of boxes.
78-Get in the “Don’t put it down, put it away” mindset.
- Grab a basket if you need to store things to take upstairs or downstairs.
- Get in the “Put it in my way to put it away” mentality.
Extra New Year Resolution Goals for the Year
79-Take my dog for a sniff and explore walk in a new area.
- Take a hike. Explore your city! See Alltrails for trails near you.
80-Save photos from my devices to a Cloud Server or External Hard drive so I won’t lose them.
- Amazon Photos is free for Prime Members!!
81-Explore my city and find fun and happy places to visit.
- Find a new restaurant.
- Find a local park.
- Find somewhere fun to shop.
82-Make a vision board to help visual my goals for the year.
- Decorating your Bedroom
- Your New Wardrobe
- Your Christmas Tree next year.
83-Delete apps you are not using.
- Delete those games on your phone you don’t play.
- Delete apps that no longer get updates.
84-Get headphones that are harder to lose, and won’t snag.
- –Check out mine! They’re like a necklace and the charge lasts 10 hrs!–
I am in love with these headphones. The charge lasts me all day if I am listening all day. Longer charge if you listen on and off.
85-Make micro goals for the year to give yourself permission to do things.
- The purpose of good resolutions is to push you to be better. If it’s making you miserable, get help or drop it. Prolonged stress is not good for you.
- Take resolutions with a grain of salt.
- Celebrate the small victories. Look at everything you accomplished, even if you did it halfway.
- Reading 5 books are better than 0!
- Cleaning one shelf is better than none.
- Taking a bath to soothe stress is better than ignoring your body.
Summing Up Goals for the Year
These New Years Resolution Goals will help you start your self care journey to relieve your anxiety.
Have a happy and healthy New Year from With Love, Me!
Tell me about your goals for the year from this list. I want to hear from you in the comments!!!
Be happy, be safe, and I’ll see you next year!!!
Don’t forget to subscribe to get tips for anxiety, PTSD, & psychiatric service dogs delivered to your inbox!
Pin, share, and comment to share the love.